The Riverside Museum is the new home for the majority of the exhibts from the Glasgow Museum of Transport.
In 1964, the Glasgow Museum of Transport opened in Pollockshields, at an old tram depot. This remained the museum’s home until 1987, when it was moved to Kelvin Hall. In 2008, work was started in earnest on a new site; the new location was on a former shipyard in the Glasgow Harbour, beside where the River Kelvin flows into the Clyde. The Kelvin Hall collection was closed to the public in 2010. In June 2011, the new Riverside Museum was opened to the public, making it the first new museum in Glasgow since the St. Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art (beside Glasgow Cathedral) opened nearly ten years earlier.
The collection itself includes:
a SAR Class 15F 4-8-2 steam locomotive, which was constructed by Glasgow-based North British Locomotive Company in 1945;
a scale model of the Queen Mary;
and a Hillman Imp car.
Another popular exhibit taken from the Kelvin Hall museum and rebuilt at the Riverside Museum is “Kelvin Street”. This recreation of a 1920 – 1930s Glasgow street houses an array of shops, allowing visitors to view non-transport related items from Glasgow’s history. At one end of Kelvin Street is a recreation of a Glasgow Subway station.